Some must-eat food while you are visiting Hanoi
1. Phở noodle soup with chicken or beef: You can find this food everywhere.
2. Chả Cá Lã Vọng: Fish and vegetables are fried on hot pan and eaten with Bún noodles, peanuts and sauce. This food is very famous. Chả Cá Lã Vọng restaurant at No. 14, Chả Cá street in the Old Quarter of Hanoi.
3. Bún Chả noodles with pork barbecue and Nem: Restaurant at No. 1, Hàng Mành street in the Old Quarter of Hanoi. A portion here is very big.
4. Bánh Cuốn (steamed rice cake): My favorite restaurant is at No. 73, Hàng Bồ street (only open from 5pm to 9pm), but I’m not sure whether it’s still open or not.
5. “Ngon restaurant” at No. 18, Phan Bội Châu street. There are all types of food that you need.
6. Bún bò Nam Bộ (beef noodles of southern style): No. 67, Hàng Điếu street.
7. Bánh gối (pillow shaped cakes): No. 52, Lý Quốc Sư street, next to St Joseph’s cathedral.
8. Bánh tôm Hồ Tây (prawn pancake): Restaurant on Thanh Niên street, the West Lake.
List of famous food Hanoi
Following is the list of my food in this blog and I write in Vietnamese, so that it will be easier for you to find them when you visit Hanoi and want to try some of these food. There are totally 94 dishes in my blog up to date and I arrange them into some groups like “noodles”, “cake”, “sticky rice”, “sweet soup” and others.
NOODLES (23 types): Phở bò tái/chín (rare/well done beef noodle soup), Phở bò nạm gầu (beef noodle soup), Phở bò sốt vang (beef and tomato noodle soup), Phở gà (chicken noodle soup), Phở xào (fried noodle), Bún nem (noodle and spring rolls), Bún riêu cua (crab noodle soup), Bún riêu đậu (crab noodle soup with tofu), Bún riêu bò (crab noodle soup with beef), Bún ốc (snail noodle soup), Bún chả (noodle and pork barbecue), Bún thang (noodle soup with chicken, fried egg, mushroom), Bún mọc gà (noodle soup with chicken and pork), Bún bò Huế (beef noodle soup from Huế city), Bún bò Nam Bộ (beef noodle from southern Vietnam), Hủ tíu (noodle soup from southern Vietnam), Bánh đa cua (crab noodle from Hải Phòng city), Miến lươn (clear noodle soup with eel), Miến lươn xào (fried clear noodle with eel), Miến gà (clear noodle soup with chicken), Miến tôm (clear noodle soup with prawn), Mỳ (yellow noodle), Chả cá Lã Vọng (fried fish and vegetables on hot pan, eaten with Bún noodles, peanuts and sauce at a famous restaurant in Hanoi).
Some other noodles in Hanoi without photos yet are
Bún bung, Bún dọc mùng, Bún ngan, Bún cá, Bún măng vịt, Miến ngan, Miến cá, Mỳ vằn thắn etc.
CAKES: Bánh cuốn (steamed rice cake), Bánh tôm Hồ Tây (shrimp cake of the West Lake), Bánh giò, Bánh chưng (square sticky rice cake), Bánh tẻ (rice cake), Bánh gối (pillow shaped fried cake), Bánh chưng rán (fried rice cake), Bánh bột lọc, Bánh bao, Bánh trôi (sticky rice cake with sugar inside), Bánh chay (sticky rice cake with green bean inside), Bánh cốm (green rice cake), Bánh nếp (sticky rice cake), Bánh rán mặn (salty fried cake), Bánh rán ngọt (sweet fried cake), Bánh phu thê, Bánh trôi nóng (sticky rice cake with sweet soup), Bánh gio (rice cake with sugarcane honey).
STICKY RICE: Xôi gấc, Xôi ngô (Some other types: Xôi xéo, Xôi lạc, Xôi đỗ xanh, Xôi chè)
SWEET SOUP: Chè thập cẩm (mixed sweet soup), Chè thưng, Chè bưởi (Some other types: Chè đỗ đen, Chè đỗ xanh, Chè hạt sen)
OTHERS: Thịt gà rang muối (fried chicken with salt), Nộm đu đủ (green papaya salad), Bò cuộn nấm (beef and mushroom), Cơm rang thập cẩm (mixed fried rice), Cơm sườn (rice and fried ribs), Súp lươn (eel soup), Bánh mỳ (bread), Lợn xiên nướng (pork barbecue), Mực xào (fried squid with pineapple or onion), Trứng vịt lộn (half duck egg), Trứng gà ngải cứu (omelet with vegetable), Gà tần (chicken and medicinal herb), Lươn nấu chuối xanh (eel and green banana), Cháo ngao (rice porridge with oyster meat), Ốc nấu chuối (snail and green banana), Mực tẩm bột rán (fried squid), Cơm cháy (rice crackers with chicken soup), Sườn xào chua ngọt (sweet and sour fried ribs), Sườn nướng (grilled ribs), Lẩu hải sản (seafood hot pot), Bê hấp gừng (steamed beef with ginger), Tôm chiên trứng muối (fried prawn with fish eggs).
Start planning your tailor-made Vietnam tour by contacting one of our specialists…