Major tourist sites and attractions :
- The temple of Angkor Wat: This is the main attraction of this place. This supreme masterpiece is an evidence of Khmer architecture. It is surrounded by a 570 ft wide and 4 miles long moat. It flaunts to be one of the best architectural constructions of the world. The Angkor temple has been declared as a heritage site.
- Bakong: This temple is shaped like a large pyramid. Built during the end of ninth century the Bakong temple covers an area of 180 ft. it is situated in the city of Hariharalaya and is the central temple of Indravarman .
- Banteai Srei: This temple was built in 968 AD by Jayavarman V. It is about 15 miles from Siem Reap Village and comprise of several buildings. Carved in pink sandstone the temple is a perfect example of a fantastic architecture.
- The Bayon: This enormous temple boasts about its 3,936 feet of superb bas-relief carving and mysterious Buddha faces carved on the third level towers. It was built by Jayavarman VII.
- The Baphuon: It houses an excellent Buddha idol about 131 feet high. This pyramid like temple was built by Udayadityavarman II between 1050 and 1066.
- Ta Prohm: This very beautiful Khmer temple is located amidst jungle and is surrounded by a ditch. It was built in the 12th century by Jayavarman VII.
- Preah Ko: Built by Indravarman I in the late ninth century this temple is located at Roluos which is about 10 miles from Siem Reap.
- Preah Khan: This temple features some excellent carvings and is also built by Jayavarman VII.
Accommodation Options: There are many 5 stars as well as small hotels for accommodations in Angkor Wat. The Sofitel Royal Angkor with its a-class facilities is set amidst the beautiful landscapes of Tosamut Boulevard. It is only a 15 minutes drive from the local airport. Raffles Grand Hotel d’Angkor is the original grand hotel located at Siem Reap. There is a luxury park and the hotel provides extensive modern facilities for its foreign tourists. Some of the other hotels are Sofitel Royal Angkor, Angkor sina Bright, La Meridien Angkor, Earthwalkers, Secrets of the Elephants Hotel etc.
Food and Wine: The main food of Angkor Wat is Rice and Fish. There are several mouthwatering local fish preparations served. Some of them are:
- Nhaom which is dried fish cooked in vinegar, herbs and vegetables.
- Amok is a chicken or fish curry cooked after wrapping it in banana leaves.
- Samlor Machu is also a type of fish curry cooked with vinegar and vegetables.
French and other western food are also very popular here.
Shopping: Angkor Wat provides a great opportunity for the shoppers to pick up things as a souvenir. Starting from finely crafted wooden boxes to silver wares from China and Khmer here you would find even great designer clothes and jewelries.